Application: Traits and Skills
The trait and skills approaches to leadership are two very different theoretical perspectives that help to explain leadership emergence and effectiveness. The trait approach is steeped in research history and proposes that leaders possess specific traits, such as intelligence, integrity, and sociability. In contrast, the skills approach suggests that leaders possess specific competencies, such as problem solving, social judgment, and knowledge.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
For this Application, you will complete two self-assessments related to the trait and skills approaches to leadership. Then, based on your results, you will explain which of your traits and skills might contribute to your effectiveness as a leader and why. Finally, you will describe which of your traits and skills need further development and explain what you might do to develop each.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the course media “Leadership Approaches: Traits and Skills” with Dr. Thomas, and Chapters 2 and 3 in the course text, Leadership: Theory and Practice.
- Review the articles “Personality and Leadership: A Qualitative and Quantitative Review” and “Leadership: Do Traits Matter?”
- Consider specific traits and skills that might contribute to effective leadership.
- Complete the Leadership Trait Questionnaire on page S2 and the Skills Inventory on page S3 in the course text, Leadership: Theory and Practice.
- Think about the traits you embody and the types of skills in which you are competent. Consider how each trait or skill might impact your ability to lead in your current profession or a profession that is of interest to you.
- Reflect on traits and skills that might need further development. Think about what you might do to develop each.
The assignment: (2-3 pages)
- Briefly summarize the results of your self-assessments, evaluating your strengths, challenges, and areas in which you would benefit from further development.
- Describe at least one trait you strongly embody and one type of skill in which you are highly competent. Then explain how each might enhance your effectiveness as a leader in your current profession or in a profession that is of interest to you and why.
- Describe at least one trait and one type of skill that needs further development. Then explain how you might develop each. Be specific.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.
- Course Text: Northouse, P. G. (2019). Leadership: Theory and practice (8th ed.). Thousand Oaks: CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 2, “Trait Approach”
- Chapter 3, “Skills Approach”
- Article: Judge, T. A., Ilies, R., Bono, J. E., & Gerhardt, M. W. (2002). Personality and leadership: A qualitative and quantitative review.Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(4), 765-780.
Use the Business Source Premier database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 12130448
- Article: Kirkpatrick, S. A., & Locke, E. A. (1991). Leadership: Do traits matter? Academy of Management Executive, 5(2), 48-60.
Use the Business Source Premier database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 4274679
SO ….my traits needing improvement include : determined, self-assured, diligent
my strongest traits are: persistent, friendly, self-confident, perceptive
trait strongest embodied: empathetic.
my skills needing improvement: technical
my strongest skill is human skill