Of Mice And Men American Dream
In Of Mice and Men the American Dream is symbolized by George and Lennie’s desire for their own piece of land. They momentarily believe if they work hard and save their money, they can afford to buy a home and work only for their own upkeep rather than someone else’s. Lennie and George’s dream is eventually thwarted by the accidental killing of Curley’s wife, demonstrating that no matter how hard one works, there are strong forces outside of ones control that ultimately determine ones success or failure.
Steinbeck has an eclectic cast of characters in the story that have noticeable differences, like mental or physical disabilities, that set them apart and influence how they are treated by others in society. Most specifically are Lennie, Candy, and Crooks, though Curley’s wife can also be included because she is a woman, and therefore vastly different from the men around her.
In Of Mice and Men Steinbeck shows that hard-working Americans like George, Lennie, and the rest of their co-workers are unable to rise to a desirable middle class lifestyle due to social and natural forces outside of their control. They are doomed to wander from place to place in search of better work, better pay, and a place to call home.
Curley’s wife is the only female character physically present in the story. Her femininity is both feared and resented by the males that surround her on the ranch. Steinbeck uses Curley’s wife to demonstrate how women are lonely and out of place in the masculine world of the ranch.
There is an ever-present sense of loneliness in the text. Crooks, Candy, and Curley’s wife all express their deep desire for companionship. George and Lennie have managed to temporarily escape loneliness through their friendship, which makes others curious as well as a little jealous. George eventually ends up alone like the others after he is forced to kill Lennie at the end of the story.
Rabbits take on a significant role in the story, representing George and Lennie’s vision of the American Dream. Before George kills Lennie, he tells Lennie about the rabbits that they plan to have. When George kills Lennie, he also kills the idea of the rabbits and their dream of having a life of freedom.
Crooks, the African-American stable hand, is the main example of how race is incorporated into the story. Steinbeck portrays Crooks as bitter and lonely because of the way he is ostracized from the rest of society. Steinbeck shows that despite African-Americans being free they are still enslaved by terrible racism in the United States. Curley’s wife most poignantly reminds Crooks of his position when she threatens to have him lynched for crossing her.
reflection on your proposed amendment to the constitution 1
In at least 250 words reflect on your proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution that you presented to your peers in the discussion board.. This assignment is about creating and communicating a fully developed argument.
- First, describe your proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution. (this is a thesis statement)
- Second, present and describe three (3) arguments in support of your Amendment. Think especially about the ideas, themes, and nature of our nationâ€™s founding and political institutions. For example, do our founders ideas of what liberty means support you proposed amendment?
- Third, address at least two 2 counter arguments that could be made by those that might oppose your proposed amendment. Describe those counter arguments fully and discuss why those counter arguments do not sufficiently counter your proposed amendment to the Constitution.
- Finally, write a conclusion paragraph that restates your proposed change to the Constitution and reviews what you believe to be the most compelling argument in support of your proposed amendment.
Be sure to include a reference list for any outside sources you use in completing your paper.
Please note: APA formatting and citations rules apply to this and all essays in this course.
As with all weekly written assignments, submit your work as an attached file. Double-space your paper and use 12 point Times New Roman as your font.
cultural considerations 7
As a mental health worker in a large city, you have been asked to work with refugee children who have been relocated from central Nigeria to live with foster families in your city. The children are between the ages of 9 and 13, boys and girls. They were rescued from a refugee camp in Nigeria where conditions were very poor. People were cramped and slept in rudimentary shelters. Food was scarce, and disease was rampant. Prior to arriving in the camp, the children were exposed to brutal violence. They saw their families murdered, houses burned, and witnessed or experienced sexual assault. Some were also injured in the attacks on their villages.
Utilize the Ethics and Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (2010), and your readings to write a paper addressing the following:
- Describe the psychological effects of violence that the children from Nigeria might be experiencing? Be sure to consider issues such as gender and age.
- Design an intervention program to address the childrenâ€™s exposure to violence. Remember to consider individual, family, and community needs.
- Describe the elements you would incorporate into a prevention program designed to foster resilience in the children from Nigeria, as well as break the cycle of violence that we learned can occur for children exposed to violence. You may research existing programs that utilize best practices as we have learned in this course, or design your own program.
- Reflect on the debate between â€œcultural universalityâ€ and â€œcultural specificityâ€. How would you reconcile this debate within the context of the ethics code for psychologists?
- Discuss why it is important to take into consideration cultural traditions when designing an intervention program. Describe at least two specific Nigerian cultural traditions and how you would use this knowledge in designing your intervention program.
- Briefly describe at least 2 ethical considerations that one would need to take into account when intervening with children as victims of violence in general, as well as pertaining to cultural issues specifically
By the due date assigned, format your paper in APA style, using research gathered from the sources above (i.e., module readings, websites such as https://www.commisceo-global.com/resources/country…, and the ethics code) to support your response. Your paper should be between 4 and 5 pages in length and include a cover page, abstract, and reference list.Submit your assignment to the Submissions Area.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Describe the psychological effects of violence that the children from Nigeria might be experiencing. Be sure to consider issues such as gender and age.||
|Design an intervention program to address the childrenâ€™s exposure to violence. Consider individual, family, and community needs.||
|Describe the elements that would be incorporated into a prevention program designed to foster resilience in the children from Nigeria, as well as break the cycle of violence that we learned can occur for children exposed to violence.||
|Reflect on the debate between â€œcultural universalityâ€ and â€œcultural specificityâ€. Discuss how to reconcile this debate within the context of the ethics code for psychologists.||
|Discuss the importance of cultural traditions when designing an intervention program. Describe at least two specific Nigerian cultural traditions and how this knowledge would be used in designing an intervention program||
|Briefly describe at least 2 ethical considerations that one would need to take into account when intervening with children as victims of violence in general, as well as pertaining to cultural issues specifically||
|Style (8 points): Tone, audience, and word choice
Organization (16 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion
Usage and Mechanics (16 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
APA Elements (24 points): In text citations and references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style
discuss the five guideline areas suggested for managing privacy issues
Discuss the five guideline areas suggested for managing privacy issues regarding the use of digital data in human research. Specifically, think of and give a real-life scenario portraying the following concepts:
Violation of privacy with respect to digital data in human research
Adherence to privacy with respect to digital data in human research
Length: 100-400 words
deliverable length 400 600 words see assignment details
Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
The Chairwoman of Board of Directors has selected you to lead the effort to create an international internship program for your organization. You will be leading a cross-cultural virtual team, including the vice president (VP) of human resources and department heads from all areas of the organization from its locations throughout the United States. The team is responsible for developing a 3-month summer program for 50 international interns. The international interns will be selected from university programs in their home country, will travel to the organizationâ€™s U.S. locations, will live and work in the United States, and then may have the potential to be offered a permanent position with the organization.
Using the Bloomberg Businessweek B-school connection program, research global organizational culture and respond to the following questions:
- What best practices do you recommend for leading a virtual cross-cultural team? What is the difference between leading a U.S.-based virtual cross-cultural team and a global virtual cross-cultural team?
- What are the legal or regulatory factors that the team needs to consider for the interns to be employed in the United States?
- How will the organization onboard the interns and introduce them to U.S. culture? What types of activities can be hosted for the interns to celebrate their diversity?
- What are the benefits of the international internship program to the interns and to the organization?
Provide a reference list at the end of your primary task response of at least 5 articles from Bloomberg Businessweek B-school connection program, and include in-text citations for the articles in APA format.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
List at least 1 article from Bloomberg Businessweek B-school connection program at the end of both of your 2 student responses, and include in-text citations for the articles in APA format.
The deliverable length for the full Discussion Board is as follows:
- Primary Task: 400â€“600 words, 5 CTU Library articles
- Secondary Task: Two 100-word replies, 2 CTU Library articles
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
please respond to the following discussion bus 499 week 10 bus admin capstone innovation applied
Discussion BUS 499 Week 10 BUS Admin Capstone Innovation Applied
Before starting this activity, review the Week 8 LEARN (eInnovation -Activity) (there are several) and read Chapter 10 in the course text book. Doing this will give you the “why” to include in your response to the following:
Read Chapter 13 Strategic Entrepreneurship and review the Learn video/lecture, then respond to the following:
- Analyze the different approaches to innovation discussed in this chapter to determine which approach you think would be the greatest value to the greatest number of organizations.
- Explain your rationale.
- Create one innovative approach that is not discussed in the textbook for increasing the amount of innovation within a large company.
- Describe this approach in detail and explain how companies could benefit from it.
Be sure to respond to at least one (1) other student.
Look for all possible ways to earn 100%. I will monitor the discussions and use my gaming powers to Award Badges and/or Revoke points as applicable. Even though this activity is auto-graded, it may take up to 3 hours to update your Blackboard grade book.
assess the best practices for securing microsoft windows 500 words 1 to 2 pages
Computer security experts devote their time and energy to the protection of sensitive data and the prevention of an outside attack on the internal network. They specialize in building secure firewalls as well as complex intrusion detection systems designed to keep intruders out. They watch and monitor the incoming message traffic very closely. But no matter how well they protect the private network from outside access without proper authority, they do not help prevent an attack by a malicious or disgruntled employee from the inside. And they cannot prevent breaches due to a simple lack of understanding of security policy by internal employees.
Assess the best practices for securing Microsoft Windows
research paper part 3 the results
What do reporters, crime scene investigators, and sports broadcasters have in common? All of these occupations are focused on reporting the results from data or information. The final part of your research paper is about the data procedures, reporting, and interpretation of the results of your research topic.
For this assignment, you will create the last part of your research paper. Build on your paper from Assignments 2 and 3, and integrate feedback from your instructor. You should use the headings below for the sections of your paper.
Write a twelve to fifteen (12-15) page paper (this includes the work you already completed in Assignments 2 and 3) in which you:
These items you should have already completed in Assignments 2 and 3:
- Describe the:
- Introduction to your topic.
- Purpose of your research.
- Problem statement.
- Summarize the literature you collected related to your topic.
- Identify the:
- Gap(s) in the literature.
- Research question or hypotheses of your topic.
- Proposed theory for your research.
- Identify two to three (2-3) common themes in the literature.
- Contrast the findings and results of the literature.
- Include seven to ten (7-10) peer-reviewed quantitative or qualitative articles related to your topic.
These items are new for Assignment 4:
- Describe the participants in the study.
- If you are conducting quantitative research, describe the instrument participants completed in the study. If you are conducting qualitative research, describe the approach and interview protocol you used.
- Explain the procedures that you conducted.
- Perform the data analysis.
- Summarize your findings.
- Interpret the results of the data analysis.
- Summarize the findings and limitations of your research.
- Address the feedback from your instructor for Assignments 2 and 3.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify a research topic and describe why it can and should be studied.
- Determine the appropriateness of peer-reviewed literature to support research topics.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to educational research methods.
- Use quantitative and / or qualitative approaches to create research topics.
- Analyze research methodologies that support specific research topics.
- Describe ethical considerations in the research process.
- Evaluate components of a research proposal.
- Write clearly and concisely about educational research methods using proper writing mechanics.
- Determine the appropriate research procedures when designing a quantitative study.
- Determine the appropriate research procedures when designing a qualitative study.
my math lab college algebra 1314 1
1. Exam 3
2. Finish up Home work
I stated the HW but there is some quetion left.
HW 6 and HW 5